Thursday 18 November 2010

Monoman - You Been Lied To EP

Okay, I have a bit of a confession to make here. I hope you can still respect me afterwards. But y'see, as a veteran of the handbag/nu-NRG campaigns of the mid-90s, I know this vocal from a Candy Girls record. Every time its fierce ruling diva sings "you been lied to," (which is all she sings), I'm mentally appending the next line – "bamboozled, made a fool of".

But I'm pretty sure that this quality deep houser doesn't actually sample a Candy Girls record, rather the same original source – I just don't know what that original might be. I will tear up my membership card for the UK Trainspotter's Association immediately, and return those tickets to the bi-annual Deep House Snobs Golf Tournament and Dinner-Dance forthwith.

Fuck it though. I can't be expected to know every single vocal snippet ever laid down on vinyl; I CAN tell a good house record when I hear one. And this is a very good house record, deep(-ish) but still quite uptempo house with a subtle disco shimmy. The other three tracks are in a similar vein, with Destiny the most overtly discofied of the bunch – you could have told me this was culled from one of Azuli's classic Disco Elements/Summer Elements EPs from the mid-90s and I've have almost believed you (except that I've got them all, and it isn't). Sterling stuff.

Out: This week

About: This is on Yakuza Recordings, who are based in Waterford, Island. Their own description of their sound (and this record in particular) is "funky, jacking and filtered house, heavily influenced by a boompty Chicago sound" and, yeah, that works as well. Don't know much about Monoman, but apparently his shizzle has been finding favour with the likes of DJ Sneak and DJ Pierre and he's got a single forthcoming on Ovum as well, so he must be doing something right.

You can find out more if you visit Yakuza on MySpace.

No comments:

Post a Comment